State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG)
Welcome to the State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG)
- In a collaborative effort to increase student achievement and post-school success for students with disabilities throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE), Division of Learning Services (DLS) submitted a proposal for the 2012 State Personnel Development Grant (SPDG). The State Personnel Development Grants Program, authorized by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), provides funds to assist states in reforming and improving their systems for personnel preparation and professional development in early intervention, education and transition services in order to enhance results for children with disabilities.
Purpose and Goals of the Project
- Five Target Areas
- Based on needs expressed in the Kentucky Department of Education, Division of Learning Services State Performance Plan, and consensus of personnel from the :Division of Learning Services, Special Education Cooperatives, Kentucky Special Parent Involvement Network and a local Director of Special Education, five :outcomes were targeted.
- These include:
- Better prepare all students with disabilities to reach proficiency and graduate from high school ready for college and careers through increased academic (reading and math) achievement and close existing achievement gaps.
- Improve post-secondary outcomes for Kentucky’s students with low incidence disabilities.
- Build the instructional capacity of Kentucky’s teachers to increase academic achievement for students with low incidence disabilities.
- Improve communication and educational services to students with low incidence disabilities.
- Sustain project efforts after the life of the SPDG.
For more information on the objectives of the project, click here: Specifics about the Objectives of the Project
What's Going On in the SPDG?
The SPDG funds several initiatives that offer professional development to Kentucky's educators. Learn more about Kentucky’s efforts to improve teaching and learning and support rigorous academic standards for students.
Video and Presentations
- Project employees have provided a list of frequently asked questions and their answers. Click SPDG FAQs to access that information.